Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

FMA Legacy


Deluxe Kali/Escrima Stick CaseI was born in a rough neighborhood in the Philippines. Growing up in that neighborhood entailed living in fear and desperation which can suffocate any individuals hopes and dreams for a better life. Living there requires an attitude of constant vigilance and extreme fortitude, and all attributes that can be draining to anyone who can't cope with the constant pressure.

Lucky for me though that I had an uncle that is well known for practicing "Arnis de Mano", a Filipino martial art that is as old as the Filipino race itself. Arnis is a martial art that is characterized by the use of sticks, made from hardwood trees indigenous to the Philippine archipelago, as defensive tools or as weapons to attack an enemy.

The Arnis system has many forms and are as diverse as the 7,107 islands of the archipelago. From the single stick technique that is “Arnis de Mano”, to a double stick technique “Doble Baston”, to double handed staff-length stick techniques that is called “Largo Mano”, and stick-and-dagger technique variants called “Espada y Daga” and many others.

By learning this age-old self defense system from my uncle that emphasizes learning to use a weapon first rather than training and defending yourself empty-handed, I was endowed with a feeling of security and confidence in my actions which helped propel me out of that environment and into a better one.

Today, like my uncle did in his spare time many years ago, I also teach people this art so that they can better themselves and lead them to a hopeful future like it did to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment